Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Save the Internet

Please take a moment as a blogger or a blog reader to check out this website and use their provided resources to send a quick note to your congressmen or women. It's all automated and it's all quick and simple to use. You have no excuse not to become involved in the issues of net neutrality and keeping the internet free.

Please, check this out.

http://www.savetheinternet.com

And in response to all of you who think that this website won't help the matter I am posting here the reply I received from Evan Bayh's office. Yes, I understand it's a form letter, but it still speaks volumes of how a simple email sent to your representatives and senators really can influence this nation.


From the Office of Evan Bayh,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding net neutrality. I am grateful for your thoughts and always welcome the advice of those I am honored to represent.

The creation of the Internet represents the most important technological achievement of the last twenty years. It has fundamentally revolutionized the way that Americans work, play and interact. While the development of the Internet has created new challenges for our society, it has created far more new opportunities for companies and individuals alike to pursue their dreams and communicate with others. The success of the Internet rests on an important principle: equality of access. Every individual, every company has the same ability to turn on their computer and explore the Internet or share their content with the rest of the world. This has allowed innovative small companies to become big companies and has allowed every voice and idea - whether it is in a small town in Indiana or in Washington , D.C. - to be heard.

As you know, there is an important debate taking place about whether telecommunications companies have the right to discriminate among Internet users by charging access fees to certain individuals or companies. I believe that allowing network operators to pick and choose who can effectively access the Internet runs the risk of fundamentally altering the Internet as we know it. No company, individual, or government should control access to the Internet. The Internet belongs to the people who use it and should remain that way.

It is for this reason that I joined with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to cosponsor the Internet Freedom Preservation Act (S.2917). This legislation will ensure that every American can access the Internet on equal terms and that it remains a democratic medium, free from corporate control. S. 2917 is currently before the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee. While I am not a member of this committee, please be assured that should this legislation come before the full Senate, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope that the information I have provided is helpful. My website, http://bayh.senate.gov , can provide additional details about legislation and state projects, and you can also sign up to receive my monthly e ‑newsletter, The Bayh Bulletin , by clicking on the link at the top of my homepage. I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you.

Office of Senator Evan Bayh

No comments: